After seven weeks of summer vacation, we are fully focused on the first day of school: Tuesday, July 31st. And we know many parents are beginning to do the same!
Here is a recap of some of the most common questions you might be considering!
- School Supply Lists are posted on school websites and have been sent to local stores. Remember that there is not a list for high school students; PHS teachers will inform students what supplies are needed after classes begin.
- Looking for assistance with back-to-school supplies? Thanks to some generous neighbors, we will be giving away 800 backpacks filled with basic supplies, on Friday, July 27. Distribution will take place at the Gladden Farms office at 10:00 am; at the Plainfield Library at 1:00 pm, and at Franklin Park’s north shelter house at 4:00 pm.
- Thanks to the United Way’s Backpack United, additional backpacks and supplies will be provided to each Plainfield school, and will be available the first day of school.
- Would you like to be a classroom volunteer, but haven’t done so previously? Be sure to complete and submit the Volunteer Background Check. We love having family volunteers in the classrooms!
- Do you enjoy working with children, but are leaning more towards a job instead of being a volunteer? We are hiring for several positions, including Food Services and Transportation, and we expect to be adding additional substitute teaching positions. You can check this link for all open positions; we think being a #QuakerFaces employee is pretty great!
- Many of you have been asking when you’ll learn who your child’s teacher(s) will be. Letters will be mailed to elementary families on July 24th, so be watching the mail! Please understand that changes could occur up to, or even a few days after, the beginning of school.
- If you are a Kindergarten transfer family this year, you should have received your letter and your child’s school assignment this week.
- Information regarding bus routes and schedules will be will be posted in PowerSchool on July 24th. For families new to Plainfield this year, your child’s bus driver will be calling to introduce his/herself, and to talk to you about pickup and dropoff procedures - these calls will take place prior to the first day of school.
- Wondering when you can put money in your child’s meal account? EFunds will be open July 23rd, and parents can deposit money for breakfast and lunch accounts at that time.
- Wondering when menus will be posted? July 20th, on each school's website.
- Book rental information will be shared with parents at different times depending on which school your child attends, so please be watching for that information from your principal(s).
- Have you downloaded the PCSC mobile app? If not, this is the perfect time to do so. Go to your app store (Google Play or Apple’s App Store) and search Plainfield School Corporation, by Apptegy. You will know it’s “our” Plainfield by the cover image which is the Quaker mascot.
- The mobile app will give you simple access to our social media messages, blog posts, event calendars, weekly menus, a staff directory with easy click-throughs to call or email teachers and administrators, and our library of documents, including calendars, board information, financial reports, Q&As and much, much more.